When stuck inside with another foot of snow piled up against the door what else is there to do but cook? Oh, I could work (overdue article) or clean (yeah, right) but there is something satisfying about heating up the oven and filling bellies in this kind of weather. So I baked an applesauce cake, did a crockpot pot roast (chuck roast from our cow) with potatoes and carrots, roasted cauliflower and a nice white bread from the bread machine.
It's amazing how quickly they can scatter crumbs.
They dove into the bread as if they had never eaten before.
Hoping you are keeping warm this evening.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon water
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Combine the applesauce, water, sour cream, egg whites and vanilla extract. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For drizzle, in a bowl, whisk confectioners' sugar and water until smooth. Drizzle over cake.